Manchester City won the 2022-23 FA Cup Final against Manchester United on Saturday June 3, 2023 by a score of 2-1, the match was played at the Wembley Stadium in London, England.
City took the lead through Jack Grealish in the 39th minute, united equalized in the 57th minute with a goal from Bruno Fernandes, City, however won the match with an 81st minute goal from Raheem Sterling.
This was City’s sixth FA Cup title and their first since 2019, it was also their third trophy of the season after winning the Premier League and the League Cup.
United’s defeat was their first defeat in the FA Cup final since 2005, they had won the competition 12 times in their history but they have not won the major trophy for six years now.
The match was very close in which both the teams created chances, City had the better of the first half but after the break United came out stronger, however City held on to win thanks to a goal from Sterling.
The victory was a huge boost for City who are still struggling for the Champions League, they are currently in second place in the Premier League and they are also in the semi finals of the Champions League.
On the other hand United now face a major rebuilding task, they have lost their last two matches and are now out of Champions League and FA Cup, if they are to challenge for the trophy next season they will need to improve fast.
Here are some important moments from the match:
1. Jack Grealish scored in the 39th minute for the City, he latched onto a through ball from Kevin De Bruyne and dismissed David de Gea.
2. Bruno Fernandes equalizes for United in 57th minute, he fired a free kick from 25 yards into the top corner.
3. Raheem Sterling scored the winning goal in the 81st minute for City, he cut in from the left and fired a low shot past De Gea.
Here are the ratings of some players in this match:
1. Kevin De Bruyne (City): 8/10 – He was a constant threat to United’s defence creating a number of chances for his teammates.
2. Jack Grealish (City): 7/10 – He scored the opening goal and was a lively presence in attack throughout the match.
3. Bruno Fernandes (United): 8/10 – Scored a great goal and was United’s best player on the day.
4. David de Gea (United): 6/10 – Made some good saves but couldn’t stop City from scoring twice.
5. Raheem Sterling (City): 7/10 – He scored the winning goal and was a constant threat to the United defence.
Overall it was an exciting match which was full of action and thrill, City were the better team that day and they deserved to win, united will be disappointed with the result but will need to learn from their mistakes if they are to challenge for the trophy next season.